My New Forest National Park Travel Guide.
I love living here - why not find out why?
Hello, welcome to my New Forest National Park website, all about my own New Forest life. I'd love to share my life here, with you. My name's Christina and I love living in the New Forest National Park - did you guess?
I live inside a cattle grid (in a cottage not a cattle grid!) and the animals (including my own) are right outside my gate. All the ponies, donkeys, cows, pigs and sheep you see aren't "wild" but are owned by Commoners. I'm a Commoner and I'd like to share my photos (all copywritten), recommendations and tales with you, ready for your visit. That's why I think my travel guide is unique.
New Forest National Park photos, tips and tales from my New Forest life.
WELCOME TO THE BEAUTIFUL NEW FOREST NATIONAL PARK
Bienvenue Welkom Willkommen Benvenuti 欢迎 ترحيب
So, let me share my passion of living in this beautiful environment with you, for your visit. Please use the navigation buttons to the left to help you find what you may be looking for. You can use the links to arrive on a page you're interested in too.
- Latest News and Blogs - keep up to date with news and views
- Disabled visitor info - where to enjoy your visit safely
- Dog Friendly tips, pubs and hotels and also dog illness news
- The Animals - there's a pony, donkey, deer or cow waiting for you to glimpse when you're out and about
- Eats and Sleeps - where to munch and where to stay from camping in the woods to luxury hotels
- Getting About and having Fun! There are loads of wonderful places for me to recommend to you
- The History and Wartime life of the New Forest is fascinating - some stories are amazing!
New Forest National Park Life News August 2015
- Latest news is updated on my Blog.
- This is a good time to visit if you need all access paths and tracks I hope my info will help you enjoy!
- Dog news - no real changes re New Forest dog death illness and Alabama Rot (or CRGV)
- It's BBQ and fishing season (Hatchett Pond reopened on June 16th 2015). I've just found a good place to day fish at Burley and also where you can try Fly Fishing too. So, light up and hook up but please watch the animals' safety too.
New Forest Disabled Access info
- Many All Access paths, suitable for the disabled visitor, right in the heart of this stunning National Park. Where to stay too.
New Forest National Park Dog Friendly News, Tips, Pubs and Hotels
- Lots of inquiries on the New Forest dog death illness and Alabama Rot. I've added updated info so please check it out. You may see this referred to as Cutaneous and Renal Glomerular Vasculopathy (CRGV) rather than Alabama Rot. They seem to be the same thing though.There's previous info which may help you too Dog death illness update.
- Dog friendly pubs now has its own page as well as dog friendly hotels and tips too. We do mud, hair and dribble here so you'll get a welcome at my recommended places!
- Watch out for adders - they love sunbathing in the heathland and may strike out at your dog.
The Animals - this is my passion incase you haven't guessed?
- Since I saw my New Forest pony born I've become even more passionate about the safety, welfare and protection of all our Commoners animals.
- No animal you see is wild - they're all owned by a Commoner - that's why I want to share this way of life with you.
- Follow my little foal blog and discover why I saved this little foal from slaughter and what is involved
- The pigs and piglets
are hilarious and you're most likely to see them in October and November.
- Sadly, we no longer have our lovely pig and piglets outside our cottage but you should look out for them all over the forest in the autumn.
- Putting pigs out on the forest is called Pannage. This is an ancient right for Commoners.
- The pigs eat the green acorns, to prevent the ponies eating them and becoming ill or even dying.
- Enjoy my photos of some of the foals and all the ponies I see each day.
- Where can you find deer?
- Meet a donkey and her foal. You'll be amazed at some of the cows you may see too.
- The 2015 Drift dates start from from Tuesday 11th August until Sunday 8th November. The annual round up of all the ponies is a dangerous place to be so please read the notices and take lots of care! Sadly, accidents happen on the roads, although it is not usually visitors who cause the majority of animal deaths. My animal road deaths and accidents
page gives you some helpful safety tips.
New Forest National Park ponies on The Drift - always take care.
New Forest National Park Eats and Sleeps
- I've got some nice Tea Rooms to recommend.
- Feeling hungry? Discover Farmers Markets I can recommend.
- Recently, I went to a fantastic Food Market with the finest, freshest produce. What's your favourite food? Now you can tell us!
- Are you looking for romantic lodges?
I've visited these myself.
Tip! (Please check the lodge is actually within the forest boundary? Some are advertised but are not within
the forest at all).
- Or perhaps a unique B&B?:
Or lovely forest or seaside Cottage?
- I'll suggest beautiful Hotels and Spa's
- My camping info keeps you much closer to nature Tip!Keep your food locked away from the animals
- What about finding a dog friendly hotel? Lots of lovely walks, then back to a warm and welcoming hotel for a wonderful meal for you and your favourite pooch?
New Forest getting about and having fun!
- We're trying to make the New Forest even "greener". 2 new bus services can
get you from Southampton to Lymington and Hythe to Moors Valley. Find
out more and the best way to use this great resource on your visit. Hop
on the New Forest Tour Bus it's a fantastic way to see the forest!
you a keen walker? We are. It's all on my walks and trails suggestions. Find out where you can have some stunning National Trust walks too.
- Cycling here is fantastic fun. There are over 100 miles of off road lanes and tracks. Explore my Four recommended cycling routes. We're always discovering and trying out new ones.
- Read my latest horse riding recommendation.
- If you're a horse rider I've discovered a fantastic safety app to help find you and your horse if you get into trouble.
- Now is a good time to visit our fairies at Furzey Gardens - you can even leave your own fairy message.
- I've recently visited the New Forest Wildlife Park. I saw beautiful animals in a wonderful woodland setting. I really can recommend a visit here.
- Exciting news if you're an Elvis fan. The last car he bought and drove the day before his death has come to the New Forest! My Beaulieu Review tells you all.
- Find out why I recommend visiting Buckler's Hard Maritime Museum
is fascinating. Find out all about Nelson
- Explore my Days Out tips with a Visit the coast at
Lepe Country Park with wonderful views across the Solent, WW2 history and wildlife to explore and enjoy, for all the family!
A New Forest National Park autumn scene - pigs out for Pannage in the woods
New Forest National Park History and Wartime Life
It's a wonderful way to get close to the history of this beautiful National Park.
Visit New Forest Family Tree Forum and post your questions to find out more of your family history during WW1 and WW2. Were your relatives stationed here during WW1 and WW2? My Family Tree Building Tips suggests ways to find out about your past. We have discovered in our family tree searches that we don't come from royal blood!
Get to know this beautiful National Park - as I know it, through my pictures. You can share your experiences on any page where you see * or Contact Me and ask a question.
Our local Miss Pig after a cooling mud bath - she actually attended the local school fete on this day - without an invite!
New Forest National Park Important Safety Information
Animal and Road Safety Advice from the Police
"Remember that animals have the priority on the roads within the New Forest boundaries. Please
drive to the road conditions, be mindful that animals can be concealed within
hedges, behind trees etc and will walk out into the road without any notice
despite your approach. Please keep your speed down and by doing so you will
increase your chances of being able to avoid collisions". For more advice please read my Animal Accidents info.
At the moment, to live here I need to work to support this lifestyle.
When eventually silver surfer
status takes me over I know I can work from home and earn money from my
very own home business. It is and will be hard work but whether you are
mum who wants to work from home or a silver surfer looking for a great way to spend some retirement time - there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Now, you can learn how to Build Your Own Site. Why not put on the kettle and find out more? And at the moment there is a Special offer for you to try!
Now you can opt to pay monthly throughout the year - 2015 may just be your year!
Anyway, back to my favourite subject..............
I hope you enjoy visiting New Forest Life and that you explore and enjoy this beautiful area with me.
Finally, please do let me have feedback on how you feel about my New Forest Life website, and do tell me if there is anything you would like to see added to the site for your enjoyment. I hope you enjoy visiting the New Forest National Park with me, and that you take home many lovely memories too. Please Contact Me if you have any questions. Many Thanks.
Check the latest weather for your visit. We do a weekly local update.
Get my up to date news, views and photos on what I've discovered, or want to share with you.
Find out where to go to discover pigs like these. I can tell you the best place to see pigs and other animals.
Please Contact me for any help.
Here's some really great news - you can now get your very own personalised Ordnance Survey map for any area of the UK you like.
This was kindly given to me recently. It shows the National Park on 1:50 000 scale and is my own personal copy with my website on.
A wonderful present for anyone