New Forest National Park Life.
Why Do I love living here? Let's find out why?
Welcome to my New Forest National Park life - which I'd like to share with you!
I'm Christina and I'm passionate about living here in this beautiful area - did you guess?
My New Forest National Park life means I live inside a cattle grid (in a cottage not a cattle grid!).
I'm a New Forest Commoner which means my animal(s) roam outside my gate. The animals you see aren't "wild" but are all owned by Commoners like me.
The New Forest stallions were let out all over the forest from 14 May for a month.
Please take extra care New Forest ponies will be running about especially across roads!
Would you like to keep them safe? Here's how you can help.
Slow down on our roads and add an extra 3 minutes to your journey.
Don't forget if you have an illegal BBQ just anywhere you fancy in the New Forest you risk poisoning a foal or it's mum or other wildlife or causing them burns. Also an area of heathland was lost the size of a couple of football pitches after an illegal BBQ! Please respect and take care too.
Please don't feed them by the roadside - it is where most of them get killed if motorists have encouraged them with titbits!
Please don't feed them at all - they always get enough food and can die a painful death from a "treat!"
All my latest news is updated on my Blog.
You can also view the last 3 blogs I've published below the left hand Nav bars. Coloured links on all my pages will help you find your way around.
You can use the Custom Search boxes to also find pages even if you only remember what you read by one keyword.
Please enjoy my New Forest life photos (all copywritten) and recommendations with me, ready for your visit.
WELCOME TO THE BEAUTIFUL NEW FOREST NATIONAL PARK
Bienvenue Welkom Willkommen Benvenuti 欢迎 ترحيب
My New Forest Life News May 2018
Danger Warning: the New Forest Stallions will be out from 14 May 2018
Here are a few tips to keep both visitors and our New Forest animals safe.
- You will recognise a stallion - they have thick necks and are totally focused on the mares they have in their herds.
- Never allow yourself or your family or dog to be between a stallion and his herd of mares.
- You may see one pony chasing another at great speed. This may be the stallion trying to get a mare into his herd. Take care and keep out of his way.
- On the roads herds may be crossing at great speed - this is a time to take extra care and SLOW DOWN - please.
- You may see a little foal running beside its mum and they may both look panicked. This is all part of this time of year - the stallion will mate with the mare if he can and the foal must keep clear.
Please buy these banners for your car to try to raise awareness of road deaths for our New Forest ponies Thank you..........
There is now a £5,000 reward for any information leading to the successful prosecution of a Hit and Run driver who kills one of our New Forest animals. Please contact the Verderers if you have info on my animal accidents blog
Urgent Road Safety Information for Visitors and More Importantly Locals!
Please watch this video. It explains just how carefully you need to drive on our New Forest roads and that the animals who roam freely have right of way - perhaps something you weren't aware of?
If you hit an animal and injure or kill it you must report it - ring 999. The police will contact the Agister for that area. It may run off after being hit - still report it as it may end up lying injured not far away and may die in agony.
- New foals are now out and about. Please enjoy them from afar and never get too close or touch or feed them - thank you.
- I get many questions about the New Forest pigs. They were out and about on the forest and were really fun to watch! I saw a lovely little gang of 12! with their mum. I had to wrestle a plastic bag off one piglet so please always take your litter home - it could save a piglet life!
- My walks and cycling pages have handy maps and routes for you to discover.
New Forest National Park Dog Friendly News, Tips, Pubs and Hotels
- I've just put up new info about the Lepto inoculation you should be giving your dog if you live or visit the New Forest. Lots for you to read and then make your own decision on.
- There's a new dog health scare this time involving a parasite from Europe which has been found in ticks in Essex. You've probably seen it in the media. Find out what I'm doing for my dog.
- Alabama Rot or CRGV seems to be raising it's head again. I've been getting lots of inquiries on the New Forest dog death illness and Alabama Rot. I've added updated info so please check it out. You may see this referred to as Cutaneous and Renal Glomerular Vasculopathy (CRGV) rather than Alabama Rot. They seem to be the same thing though. There's previous info which may help you too Dog death illness update.
- Dog friendly pubs now has its own page as well as dog friendly hotels and tips too. We do mud, hair and dribble here so you'll get a welcome at my recommended places!
- Watch out for adders - they love sunbathing in the heathland and may strike out at your dog.
- There are many All Access paths, suitable for the disabled visitor, right in the heart of this stunning National Park. I can help you find out where to stay too. At some you may be able to bring your dog.
The Animals - are my passion in case you haven't guessed?
- Since I saw my New Forest pony born I've become even more passionate about the safety, welfare and protection of all our Commoners' animals. No animal you see is wild - they're all owned by a Commoner - that's why I want to share this way of life with you.
- Follow my little foal blog and discover why I saved this little foal from slaughter and what is involved
- The pigs and piglets
are hilarious during Pannage. This year they will probably be out from mid September through to October and November (the actual date changes every year) depending when green acorns fall. Sadly, we no longer have our lovely pig and piglets outside our cottage but you should look out for them all over the forest in the autumn.
New Forest National Park ponies on The Drift - always take care.
New Forest National Park Eats and Sleeps
- I've got some nice Tea Rooms to recommend.
- Feeling hungry? Discover Farmers Markets I can recommend.
- Recently, I went to a fantastic Food Market with the finest, freshest produce. What's your favourite food? Now you can tell us!
- Are you thinking of a New Forest wedding? My Wedding Tips should help you plan yours.
- Are you looking for romantic lodges?
I've visited these myself.
Tip! (Please check the lodge is actually within the forest boundary? Some are advertised but are not within
the forest at all).
- Or perhaps a unique B&B?:
Or lovely forest or seaside Cottage?
- I'll suggest beautiful Hotels and Spa's
- New Forest Safari tents are back! My camping info keeps you much closer to nature Tip!Keep your food locked away from the animals.
New Forest getting about and having fun!
- It's fishing season (Hatchett Pond reopened on June 16th 2015). I've just found a good place to day fish at Burley and also where you can try Fly Fishing too. So, get your bait (I'll tell you where) and hook up but please watch the animals' safety too.
you a keen walker? We are. It's all on my walks and trails suggestions. Find out where you can have some stunning National Trust walks too.
- Cycling here is fantastic fun. There are over 100 miles of off road lanes and tracks. Explore my Four recommended cycling routes. We're always discovering and trying out new ones.
- Read my latest horse riding recommendation. If you're a horse rider I've discovered a fantastic safety app to help find you and your horse if you get into trouble.
- Now is a good time to visit our fairies at Furzey Gardens - you can even leave your own fairy message.
- I've recently visited the New Forest Wildlife Park. I saw beautiful animals in a wonderful woodland setting. I really can recommend a visit here.
- Exciting news if you're an Elvis fan. The last car he bought and drove the day before his death has come to the New Forest! My Beaulieu Review tells you all.
- Find out why I recommend visiting Buckler's Hard Maritime Museum
is fascinating. Find out all about Nelson
- Explore my Days Out tips with a Visit the coast at
Lepe Country Park with wonderful views across the Solent, WW2 history and wildlife to explore and enjoy, for all the family!
A New Forest National Park autumn scene - pigs out for Pannage in the woods
New Forest National Park History and Wartime Life
It's a wonderful way to get close to the history of this beautiful National Park.
Visit New Forest Family Tree Forum and post your questions to find out more of your family history during WW1 and WW2. Were your relatives stationed here during WW1 and WW2? My Family Tree Building Tips suggests ways to find out about your past. We have discovered in our family tree searches that we don't come from royal blood!
Get to know this beautiful National Park - as I know it, through my pictures. You can share your experiences on any page where you see * or Contact Me and ask a question.
Our local Miss Pig after a cooling mud bath - she actually attended the local school fete on this day - without an invite!
New Forest National Park Important Safety Information
Animal and Road Safety Advice from the Police
"Remember that animals have the priority on the roads within the New Forest boundaries. Please
drive to the road conditions, be mindful that animals can be concealed within
hedges, behind trees etc and will walk out into the road without any notice
despite your approach. Please keep your speed down and by doing so you will
increase your chances of being able to avoid collisions". For more advice please read my Animal Accidents info.
At the moment, to live here I need to work to support this lifestyle.
When eventually silver surfer
status takes me over I know I can work from home and earn money from my
very own home business. It is and will be hard work but whether you are
mum who wants to work from home or a silver surfer looking for a great way to spend some retirement time - there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Now, you can learn how to Build Your Own Site. Why not put on the kettle and find out more? And at the moment there is a Special offer for you to try!
Now you can opt to pay monthly throughout the year - 2015 may just be your year!
Anyway, back to my favourite subject..............
I hope you enjoy visiting New Forest Life and that you explore and enjoy this beautiful area with me.
Finally, please do let me have feedback on how you feel about my New Forest Life website, and do tell me if there is anything you would like to see added to the site for your enjoyment. I hope you enjoy visiting the New Forest National Park with me, and that you take home many lovely memories too. Please Contact Me if you have any questions. Many Thanks.
Check the latest weather for your visit. We do a weekly local update.
Get my up to date news, views and photos on what I've discovered, or want to share with you.
Find out where to go to discover pigs like these. I can tell you the best place to see pigs and other animals.
Please Contact me for any help.
Here's some really great news - you can now get your very own personalised Ordnance Survey map for any area of the UK you like.
This was kindly given to me recently. It shows the National Park on 1:50 000 scale and is my own personal copy with my website on.
A wonderful present for anyone