I am curious to know why the 'streams' in the new Forest are called waters i.e. Highland Water, Ober Water.

Thank you.

Sandra Taylor

Hi Sandra

Thanks for this enquiry. I don't know the answer definitely but most "streams" are called "Brooks" or "Water" and I believe it may be because these streams actually overflowed for much of the year, prior to management schemes put in place over the last 100-150 yrs. As they overflowed so they were became known, perhaps locally, as water because they covered a larger area and behaved less like a flowing stream and more like an area of water - does that make sense?
If anyone knows the answer please let me know.
Many thanks Christina -

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to New Forest Q & A.

Home | Contact Me | Terms of Use | About Me |